Subversion and Git integration with JIRA tickets
Many projects use JIRA for managing tracking bugs, milestones, feature requests and so on, and
many of these projects keep track of which commit affects which ticket. In order to make
things even easier, we have a service called
svngit2jira, which integrates
Subversion and Git commits with JIRA tickets.
How it works
The amount of work a committer has to do to achieve this integration is very light; Simply mention a JIRA ticket in a commit, and the specific JIRA ticket will receive an update indicating that a certain commit has been made in reference to the ticket. As an example, you may want to check out, for instance, this CloudStack ticket (just scroll down a bit and you'll see the commit mentioned).
This service also plugs into the ReviewBoard instance if you use JIRA ticket names there, as for example the CloudStack project does.
General use of the service
As explained, the most common scenario is simply mentioning a JIRA ticket in your commit, and the JIRA ticket will be updated to reflect your new commit. Some projects have this trigger set, so that it only updates a ticket if the first sentence is the JIRA ticket number, but we can tailor this to suit your project's needs.
Getting set up for svngit2jira
Enabling the service for your project is as easy as creating a JIRA ticket with Infrastructure. We'll need to know the following things in order to proceed:
- Which project is interested in this service
- Is the project in agreement on using this? (please ensure this before requesting the feature, as it does tend to add quite a lot of new information to JIRA)
- What JIRA name does your project use? (for example, INFRA, GIRAPH etc)
- Do you use git or subversion
- How would you like commits to trigger an update of a JIRA ticket (this can be anything from the standard catch-all FOO-1234 trigger to more specific rules you thought of yourself)
- If you are using Git, are there any specific branches you'd like the service to ignore
The source for this feature is freely available at this location.