2010-present | 2005-2009 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | Pre-organization meetings

2004 Board meeting minutes

  • 15 Dec 2004

  • 14 Nov 2004
    • Establish guidelines for handling copyright notices
    • Affirm Intent to Own Copyright to all ASF Distributions (tabled)
    • Approve new version of Corporate CLA (tabled)
    • Termination of the Avalon PMC
  • 20 Oct 2004
    • Establish the Apache XML Graphics Project
    • Establish the Apache Xalan Project
    • Establish the Date and Time for the ASF Member's Meeting
    • Affirm Intent to Own Copyright to all ASF Distributions
    • Appoint Brian W. Fitzpatrick as a Vice President of the PRC
  • 22 Sep 2004
    • Establish the Apache Lenya Project
    • Establish the Apache Metro Project (rejected)
    • Establish the Apache XML Graphics Project (tabled)
    • Establish the Apache Xalan Project (tabled)
  • 18 Aug 2004
    • Termination of the Apache Commons Project
    • Establish the Apache Metro Project (tabled)
    • Appoint Brian Fitzpatrick as a Vice President (tabled)
  • 21 Jul 2004
    • Policy on Passing through of Restrictions to licensees
    • Returning the J2EE TCK due to NOTICE issues
    • Establish the Apache XML Graphics Project (tabled)
  • 23 Jun 2004
    • Established a Public Relations Committee
    • Individual Contributor License Agreement
    • Corporate Contributor License Agreement
    • Change of Jakarta PMC Chair
    • Establish the SpamAssassin PMC
    • Change of Cocoon PMC Chair
    • Establish the Apache XMLBeans PMC
  • 26 May 2004
    • Appoint officers for the 2004-2005 term
    • Public Relations Committee (tabled)
    • Establish the Apache Excalibur Project
    • Establish the Apache Geronimo Project
    • Establish the Apache Forrest Project
  • 21 Apr 2004
    • Change the Chair of the Incubator PMC
  • 17 Mar 2004
    • Establish Apache Struts PMC
  • 18 Feb 2004
    • Appoint a new Jakarta PMC Chair
    • Establish Gump PMC
    • Establish Portals PMC
    • Discussion: copyright ownership
    • Discussion: confirm March 1 deadline for CLAs
    • Discussion: what to do about old SA releases (under the GPL/PAL)
    • Resolution to separate PHP from the Apache Software Foundation
  • 21 Jan 2004
    • Appoint a new Director to fill Roy's vacated position
    • Appoint a new Jakarta PMC Chair
    • Appoint a new Avalon PMC Chair
    • Approve the new Apache License 2.0
    • Approve a Response regarding the alleged JBoss IP infringment in

2003 Board meeting minutes

  • 17 Dec 2003
    • Establishment of the Apache Logging Services Project
    • Discussion: code imports directly into projects vs incubation
    • Appoint a new Director to fill Roy's vacated position (tabled)
    • Appoint a new Jakarta PMC Chair (tabled)
  • 16 Nov 2003
    • Alter the Chair of the Apache Maven Project
    • Rename Perl-Apache Project to the Apache Perl Project (tabled)
    • Alter the Chair of the Apache Perl Project (tabled)
    • Roy T. Fielding resignation from Board of Directors
    • Appoint a new Director to fill Roy's vacated position
  • 22 Oct 2003
    • Resolution to adopt a new version of the Apache License (tabled)
    • Resolution to Appoint new Chair of the Apache Incubator Project
    • Resolution to Set Date/Time and Location for Special ASF
  • 17 Sep 2003

    • Alter the Chair of the Apache DB Project
    • Alter the Chair of the Apache Maven Project
    • Alter the Chair of the Apache Commons Project
  • 20 Aug 2003

  • 16 Jul 2003
    • Discussion: PHP licensing
    • Discussion: Spam Assassin (SA) group as an ASF project,
  • 25 Jun 2003
    • Appointment of ASF Officers for the next term
    • Change the Apache XML Project Chair
    • Change the Apache HTTP Project Chair
    • Discussion: voting and election of the Board
    • Discussion: low voter turnout
    • Discussion: publishing [to ASF Members] of the vote counts
    • Discussion: what does it mean to be an ASF Member? [Jim]
  • 21 May 2003

    • Set date for annual members meeting and board elections
    • New Vice President for the Apache Cocoon PMC
    • Slightly modify the contributor agreement
    • Granting Peter Donald fulls rights / copyright to the "Naming"
    • HP's use of "The Secure Apache Web Server for Linux" (posted to
    • JavaWorld awards
  • 16 Apr 2003

  • 19 Mar 2003
    • Resolution to change the Chair of the Apache Avalon Project
  • 26 Feb 2003
    • Resolution to create the Maven PMC
  • 19 Feb 2003
    • The infrastructure committee seeks permission to procure SSL certs
    • Resolution to create the Maven PMC (tabled)
  • 22 Jan 2003
    • Established the Apache Cocoon Project
    • Established the Apache James Project
    • Established the Web Services Project

2002 Board meeting minutes

  • 18 Dec 2002

  • 18 Nov 2002
    • Appoint Chuck Murcko as the Treasurer of the ASF
    • Empower PMC chairs to change the membership of their PMCs without resolution
    • Established the Avalon PMC
    • Established the Ant PMC
  • 30 Oct 2002
    • ASF Bylaws Change: clarified new member nomination process
    • Discussed (did not pass) establishing an infrastructure board committee
  • 16 Oct 2002
    • Jason Hunter has requested the appointment of a new JCP representative
    • It was reported the the ASF Members Meeting would be held on November 18th
    • Reestablish Apache Portable Runtime Project
    • Establishment of an Apache Incubator Project
  • 09 Oct 2002
    • Appoint a Director to fill the position vacated by Randy
    • Appoint an Assistant Treasurer
    • Vote on ApacheCon hardship cases
    • Establish the Apache Security Team
    • Appoint a replacement chair for Fund Raising Committee
  • 18 Sep 2002 (additional reports)
    • Apache Commons Project
  • 21 Aug 2002
    • Request for use of feather mark from Bradford Learning / Covalent
  • 17 Jul 2002
    • Election of Officers
    • Establishment of an Apache DB project
    • Establishment of an Apache Fund-raising Committee
  • 20 Mar 2002
    • Java Community Process resolution, ensuring that Apache projects will only implement specifications that can be implemented as open source software
    • Request from SAP for License Amendment Permission
  • 27 Feb 2002
    • Jakarta election of new PMC
    • Request from IBM to make a BSF project within Jakarta
    • Lars Eilebrecht wants approval to use the Apache feather on his
    • Distribution of jar files from Jakarta and XML sites without proper
    • Chuck Murcko proposes that the bylaws be changed to make the board
    • The UK scam using "Apache Group" name at <http://www.icu2.cjb.net/>
  • 16 Jan 2002
    • Conference supplies
    • Trademarks
    • Java Community Process

2001 Board meeting minutes

  • 28 Nov 2001
    • ASF License 2.0
    • Establishing a PMC for a federated identity project
  • 17 Oct 2001
    • Request from IBM to make a BSF project within Jakarta
  • 15 Aug 2001
    • ApacheCon speaker payments from Santa Clara ApacheCon 2001
    • Red Hat request for use of "for Apache" and "powered by Apache"
    • Contributor logos
  • 18 Jul 2001

    • ApacheCon contract issues
    • Election of Chairman
    • Appoint Ted Leung to V.P., Apache XML
    • Appoint someone to replace Randy Terbush on Conference Planning
    • Request for use of the ASF Feather in official merchandise
    • NT Services project
    • ASF virtual office
  • 18 Apr 2001

  • 21 Mar 2001
    • Allocation of $2500 for Batik press announcement
    • Covalent request for permission to use Apache name
    • Tripwire request for permission to use Apache name
    • Discussion of things we need to do to advertize 501(c)(3) status
    • Re-established and updated membership of Jakarta and XML Projects
    • Amending the bylaws to prevent a situation where more than half of the board of directors consisted of employees/owners of the same company
  • 21 Feb 2001
    • Confirming the Conference Planning Committee
    • Improving the structure of the Jakarta and XML projects
    • New V.P. for the Jakarta Project
    • New charter for the XML Project
    • Coordinating release versions among Apache projects
    • ASF Members allowed to sit on any PMC without a voice

2000 Board meeting minutes

  • 20 Dec 2000
    • Establishment of the Apache Portable Runtime Project
  • 15 Nov 2000

    • Trademark
    • Engage in a relationship with Cooley
  • 22 Oct 2000

  • 24 Jul 2000
    • Clarification on open board mailing list and archives
    • Authorize budget for retaining counsel on crypto export issues
    • Authorize budget for payment of member fees at ApacheCon 2000 Europe
    • Update membership of the Apache HTTP Server Committee
    • Update membership of the Apache XML Committee
    • Establishment of an Apache PHP Committee
    • Establishment of an Apache/TCL Project
    • Acclamation of Apache Conferences Committee
    • Budgeting for counsel on member employment agreements and NDAs
    • Official policy regarding use of the Apache name for such
    • Coriolis copyright infringement
    • Budgeting for ASF Hackathon event prior to ApacheCon 2000 Europe
    • Plan for creating an annual report for fy1999
    • Plan for creating a budget for fy2000
  • 10 Mar 2000
    • Proposal from ZOT Group for continuing media management services
    • Perl-Apache PMC
    • XML and Data Channel License
  • 28 Feb 2000
    • Proposal from ZOT Group for continuing media management services
    • Discussion about pro/con of becoming 501(c)(3)
    • Ken requested that the ASF investigate the procedure in having the ASF formally accept PHP and mod_perl as Foundation projects
    • Discuss our usability policies for the various bits of artwork

1999 Board meeting minutes

  • 01 Nov 1999

    • Adopting the contributor license agreement
    • Modifications to Trademark Assignment agreement
  • 22 Sep 1999

  • 16 Sep 1999
    • Application for tax-exempt status as a private operating foundation
    • ASF Software License
    • Project Management Committees
    • Establishment of the Apache Jakarta Project
    • Establishment of the Apache XML Project
    • Budgeting process
    • Overhead charge
    • Initial Foundation Budget
  • 13 Jul 1999
    • PR post-mortem from June 30 announcement of The ASF
    • Status on setting up projects
    • Handling funds marked for use by specific projects
    • Licensing issues regarding projects
    • Finishing up the corporate loose ends
  • 22 Jun 1999
    • PR for announcement of The ASF
    • Jakarta
    • Finishing up the corporate loose ends
  • 01 Jun 1999

    • Effective date of incorporation
    • Budget discussion
  • 13 May 1999

  • 27 Apr 1999
    • Banking Resolutions
    • Appointing additional responsibilities to officers and/or non-officers
    • Issues regarding the membership application form
    • Adoption of the license agreement form (license-grant.txt)
    • Adoption of the trademark assignment form (trademark-assignment.txt)
    • Adoption of the equipment use letter (equipment-use-letter.txt)
    • Adoption of the bill-of-sale/assignment form (BOS-and-assignment.txt)
    • Appointment of a Vice Chairman of the Board
    • Set dates for next two Board meetings
  • 13 Apr 1999
    • Officer Elections
    • Ratification and Adoption of Acts of Incorporator
    • Adoption of the Bylaws of The Apache Software Foundation
    • Adoption of the Corporate Seal
    • Selection of an initial principal office
    • Adoption of the member consent form
    • Adoption of the membership application form
    • Establishment of the Apache HTTP Server Project Management Committee
    • Establishment of the Apache Conference Committee
    • Miscellaneous Incorporation Resolutions
    • Attorney